Rita Mulcahy’s PMP Prep and PMBOK® Guide
Last updated on 30th Sep 2020, Artciles, Blog
Rita Mulcahy, Died in 2010, is a great contributor to the project management world. She is the author of several project management books. Started in the 1990s, PMP exam prep by Rita Mulcahy is the most popular book she has ever authored. Rita PMP book is the most popular PMP exam prep book in the market used by thousands of PMP certification exam candidates each year.
Although the PMP Rita book is a major resource for getting ready for the PMP Exam, it does not satisfy the 35 contact hours education requirement of PMP Exam. Therefore, you must attend PMP training to be eligible to sit for the PMP exam as well.
Subscribe For Free Demo[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
- First, it starts with general information about the PMP exam structure, how many questions it includes, passing score, style of questions etc. It also gives a guideline about how to study the PMP Rita book as well.
- Then, it gives information about the project management framework. It covers what is a project and what makes a project unique other than regular operational works. It provides information about the project life cycle and characteristics of projects as well.
- In the third section of the book, you will see the project management processes. There are five project management process groups and each process under 10 different knowledge areas belongs to these process groups.
- From fourth section onward, the PMP Rita Mulcahy book focuses on the 10 knowledge areas of the PMBOK. If you had a chance to review PMBOK, you should have found that it is not easy to follow the knowledge areas. Because, the PMBOK is the bible of project management standards and it focuses mainly on inputs, outputs and tools and techniques of processes. However, Rita PMP’s book simplifies these theoretical concepts with practical examples. Rather than focusing on process inputs, outputs, and tools and techniques, it goes over the practices of how to manage a project and how a process will help when managing a project in real-life.
- You will find useful practices, quizzes and notes at the end of each section. I recommend you to take notes while you study and go over these notes frequently to memorize the sections you have already completed in your PMP study. You can see my notes from the Quality Management section while I was studying for the PMP exam (2012).
First edition of this book was published in the 1990s and since then, it is the primary source for PMP aspirants if they are looking for a PMP exam prep book. Rita Mulcahy died in 2010, however, her company RMC Learning keeps on updating the PMP Rita book and the latest version: PMP Rita Mulcahy Ninth Edition has been published in 2018. Let us go through each aspect of PMP Rita Mulcahy book one by one.
After helping over 125,000 professionals in more than 180 countries with a 99.6% first attempt pass rate, we have prepared a seven-step PMP study plan. Read this PMP study plan and create your own PMP prep plan accordingly
Rita Mulcahy’s PMP Prep – Juxtaposition of Theory and Practice
The PMP® exam includes both theoretical and practical questions on project management, in order to evaluate a candidate’s knowledge and experience in leading projects.
Therefore, test-takers need to be aware of real-life work issues and project management practices.
Rita’s prep book prepares PMP® aspirants for these types of problems. She is the founder of RMC Project Management, Inc. and is most well-known for her PMP® Prep book. In the book, she explores various topics. Some of the topics from Rita Mulcahy PMP Prep are mentioned below:
- Project Management Fundamentals
- Risk Management
- Determining Customer Requirements
Besides the above topics, she also tries to explain real-life project roles and responsibilities. She talks about program managers and senior management’s role in projects. Factors that lead to a project’s success and conditions that lead to the downfall of projects are discussed in Rita PMP prep book.
The guide also helps one improve their project management skills and prepares them towards working with team members, project leaders, and project managers. Rita also provides PMP® practice tests for the last-minute brush-up before the PMP® exam.
Thus, hers is an approach to prepare candidates both for the PMP® exam and for real-life project management.
Learn From Experts PMP Training to Build Your Skills & Knowledge
- Instructor-led Sessions
- Real-life Case Studies
PMBOK® Guide – The Bible of Project Management
PMBOK® Guide is often referred to as the Bible of Project Management; it is the Project Management Body of Knowledge. The PMP® Certification exam is based on the PMBOK® Guide. The PMBOK® Guide is regularly updated from time to time according to changes in the best-practices of Project Management. This book covers the five processes of project management and the nine knowledge areas of project management, which are listed below.
5 Process Groups of Project Management
- 1. Initiating
- 2. Planning
- 3. Executing
- 4. Monitoring and Controlling
- 5. Closing
9 Knowledge Areas in Project Management
- 1. Project Integration Management
- 2. Project Scope Management
- 3. Project Time Management
- 4. Project Cost Management
- 5. Project Quality Management
- 6. Project Human Resource Management
- 7. Project Communications Management
- 8. Project Risk Management
- 9. Project Procurement Management
10th Knowledge Area Added to PMBOK® Guide – Fifth Edition
As mentioned above, the PMBOK® Guide is regularly updated with advancements. The current version of the PMBOK® Guide is the fifth edition. This edition includes one more project management knowledge area, increasing the total to 10. Project Stakeholder Management is the 10th knowledge area of project management. It encourages the engagement of stakeholders in every key decision within a project.
Apart from this, project data information and the planning process are discussed in greater detail in the PMBOK® Guide – Fifth Edition.
The PMBOK® Guide helps candidates gain a complete overview of project management. He or she is informed of all the knowledge areas of project management that are tested in the PMP Certification exam. Thus, both the PMBOK® Guide and Rita Mulcahy PMP Prep book will help you prepare for the PMP® Certification exam and build your career.
Are you looking training with Right Jobs?Contact Us
- How to Build a Career in Project Management?
- What Is a Project Management Plan?
- Risk Assessment in Project Management
- MS Project Tutorial
- Project Management Interview Questions and Answers
- What is Dimension Reduction? | Know the techniques
- Difference between Data Lake vs Data Warehouse: A Complete Guide For Beginners with Best Practices
- What is Dimension Reduction? | Know the techniques
- What does the Yield keyword do and How to use Yield in python ? [ OverView ]
- Agile Sprint Planning | Everything You Need to Know