Blue Prism Interview Questions and Answers
Last updated on 25th Sep 2020, Blog, Interview Question
Blue Prism is an RPA (Robotics Process Automation) tool that enables the implementation of robotics automation. It has been designed to automate business processes and optimize your work by automating, simplifying, and integrating the technology and processes.
It has become extremely important for any organization to use automation in their industry so that employees can focus on higher-value work and leave the transactions to the software robots which will perform their job tirelessly with the maximum efficiency. If you are thinking to build a career in RPA (Robotic Process Automation) then Blue prism is the ultimate tool to start with.
If you are going for blue prism interview whether as a fresher or experienced candidate, this set of top 50 Blue Prism interview questions and answers will help you to crack the interview. Let’s move ahead to read out top blue prism interview questions which are definitely going to be asked by the interviewer.
As RPA is the base of Blue Prism so in this section we’ve covered some important questions on RPA which could be asked by the interviewer. So, here we start with some RPA interview questions followed by the latest blue prism interview questions.
1.What is RPA?
RPA stands for Robotic Process Automation and it is a software that can be easily programmed to do basic tasks across the application just like humans do, thus making the processes efficient, reducing the costs of operation and minimizing manual errors and faults.
2.Which processes can be automated, and which cannot?
- Processes that are stable, mature, repetitive, and rule-based can be automated.
- RPA is not meant for automating tasks that are constantly changing, non-standardized and unstable because they are not easily defined.
3.What can be the disadvantages of RPA?
- RPA depends on the application performance…if the application is slow or loading takes time then, automation would be slow.
- Also, if the application has some changes, the bot needs to be reconfigured to work as per the changes.
4.When and where can we use a different automation tool like Uipath, BluePrism or Automation Anywhere?
- Uipath has better feature for Citrix automation
- Have a better community to discuss any issue if got stuck
- Blue Prism is more secure and so can be used in the BFSI sector where data security is priority
- Automation Anywhere is more used in retail as security is not a priority.
5.What is the difference between Back office robots and Front office robots?
Back Office Robots:
- Doesn’t need human intervention
- Server side initiation of Robots
- Triggered by a scheduled or monitoring such as a file folder or inbox in webmail
Examples:-order management, financial, HR,IT
Front Office Robots:
- Needs human intervention
- Triggered by a user and runs only under human supervision
Examples– service desk, call centers
6.Tell us about the various documents that are involved in the RPA process lifecycle.
- Initial Process Analysis (IPA. – It contains high level analysis of the process solution. Also overview on proposed solution, prerequisite to development, efforts, prod environment requirement etc.
- Process Definition Doc (PDD. – It describes the manual process that is to be automated. A diagram and descriptions of every stage in the diagram should be included. Application screenshots and descriptions of each step should be provided.
- Functional Requirements Questionnaire – It provides a quick checklist of the required details and areas for consideration. This and PDD is fed into SDD.
- Solution Design Doc (SDD. — It describes how Blue Prism will automate the process described in the PDD. Overview of end-to-end solution
- Operational impact doc (OID. — required to inform the client operation team of their responsibilities once the automated solution is in place.
- Process Design Instruction(PDI. – It is intended to be a blueprint from which a process can be developed. The low-level information excluded from the SDD for the sake of clarity should be included in the PD.
- Object Design Instruction(ODI. – It is a blueprint from which business objects can be developed.
7.What is Object Studio and Process studio in BluePrism?
Object Studio – Used to interact with external applications
Process Studio – Build the software to operate the external app
8.What are the stages that are extra in Object Studio as compared to the process studio?
5 Stages – read, write, navigate, wait, code.
9.Apart from stages what are the things that are extra in Object Studio?
Initialization and clean up Tab on the Object Studio Page
10.Which stage is in the Process studio and not in the Object studio?
Subscribe For Free Demo
Error: Contact form not found.
11.What are the advantages of creating Multiple Objects in the object layer?
- Enables more developers to work concurrently
- Reduces the risk of process layer when a change is made in the object layer
- Consumes fewer action at runtime
12.What is the use of the wait stage?
It absorbs the system latency, confirms the process is on the correct path
13.What is a throttle in BluePrism?
A wait stage without any wait condition is called throttle and it can be used to create pause and a data item can be used to control the length of the timeout.
14.What are the different spy modes?
- Windows 32
- UI automation mode
- Html mode
15.What are the three sections in the Control room?
Session management, queue management and Scheduler
16.What needs to be unticked for the attributes captured by application modeler?
- 1. Any element with a blank value
- 2. All parents attribute unless required to make the element unique match
- 3. Any urls
17.What is the part of the blue prism that interacts with the target system?
18.What for Set data action used for?
- To save updated data collection back to the queue
- Only the LOCKED cases are updated.
19.What is the use of Object data?
Object data is used to measure process performance and generating MI
20.What is the Control room?
Centralized point to manage, trigger, deploy and monitor the processes and bots
21.How will you bring the screen to focus?
By using the activate in navigation stage
22.What is the use of Attach?
It connects business object to an application that is already running
23.How to deal with pop ups?
Create a separate object to deal with the popup
24.What is the Difference between Global center click and Global mouse click?
For Global mouse click we need to provide x and y coordinates.
For global center click it will click as the center.
25.Where the max retry attempt is set and if it can be overridden?
- Max retry attempt is set at queue level.
- It can be overridden by the retry flag at the Mark exception stage, if it is false no retry will be done.
26.How do the retry attempts work?
The retry attempt will clone the case that got an exception and will retry again.
27.From where you can get the Attempt number of a particular case/item?
Attempt number is as output of the get next Item stage
28.What is the Keep Locked input parameter in Blue Prism?
- The Keep Locked input parameter works in conjunction with the Retry input. When Keep Locked is True, the new cloned item will become instantly locked.
- This provides the opportunity to carry on working on the new item. When Keep Locked False,any new item created is freely available as the “next” item.
29.In the control room, how can you differentiate whether the process has been run through the process studio or control room?
If a process is running from the process studio it will be suffixed by debug and not in case if ran from the control room.
30.What is the resource and session in BluePrism?
Machines installed with Blue Prism are known as Resources, and an instance of a
Process running on a Resource is known as a Session.
Learn From Experts Blue Prism Training to Build Your Skills & Knowledge
- Instructor-led Sessions
- Real-life Case Studies
31.What are the different ways of stopping a process through the control room?
- When a process is running in the Control Room you can stop the process by selecting the process session and clicking Stop Selection. This will stop the process immediately.
- The case currently being worked will not be completed and Blue Prism will mark it as an Exception at Clean Up.
- If you right-click a running process session you will see the following stop options;Immediate Stop and Request Stop. Immediate Stop is the equivalent of Stop Selection.
- Request Stop will ask the process to stop where there is a configured safe stop with the process.
32.What is the release manager used for?
- It provide tool for managing import and export of configuration packages between environment
- It provide visibility of the packages that have been created elsewhere and imported
- It provide the capabilities to update to either the new or existing process across the appropriate environment
33.What do you mean by Run Mode?
An application object setting designed to control the ability to run multiple processes
on one resource
34.What are the different run modes?
if the object should never have more than one instance running at the same time on the same resource
if the object to support multiple instances running at the same time on the same resource
if the object should never be run at the same time as any other object and requires exclusive access to the desktop
35.What is step in, step over and step out?
- Step in— one action at a time — F11
- Step over— one stage at
36.What is the difference between Global send key and Global send key events?
Global send key – send keystroke to the application that is attached to
Global Send key event- keys are processed on whatever is focused.
37.How can you configure a safe stop within your process?
We can configure a safe stop within our process by using the inbuilt Environment function IsStopRequested(. within a Decision stage.
38.What is Match Index and match Reverse?
- When a Match Index is set, Blue Prism will stop searching once an element has been found, instead of continuing to search for potential duplicates.
- Using this attribute may significantly increase the search speed (especially when using the Java and Accessibility interfaces. but should only be used in circumstances where duplicate elements are either unlikely or can be ignored.
- When using Match Index, Match Reverse will make Blue Prism search in a bottom-border rather than the default top-down order. Again, this may improve the search speed but only experimentation will tell.
39.What is casting?
‘Casting’ is a means of using one data type to set a different data type
40.What is the code stage?
The code stage allows Microsoft.Net code scripts to be embedded in a Business Object
(but not a Process.. A code stage can have inputs and outputs and can be written in
- VB, C# or J#
41.What is the use of a block in exception handling?
A Block is a mechanism for isolating exception handling to a specific area and is a
good way to prevent an infinite loop.
42.What is status in terms of queue items?
Each Work Queue item has a status. The status can be used as a method of
recording what work has been done so far on a Work Queue item.
43.What is the use of tags?
- Tag is used to grouping/categorizing the items
- Tags can be used when getting items (Using Get Next Item. from the Work Queue.
- You can filter the items to retrieve by the presence or absence of a specific tag, by giving the appropriate arguments to the Tag Filter input parameter of the Get Next Item action.
44.What is the Deferred field?
Deferred field as present at the add to queue stage …the items would be deferred to that particular time
45.How to get pending deferred items?
Pending deferred items can be obtained using the BO work queues and action as Get report data, there is a flag to set to get the item count for deferred items.
46.What are the different Data item exposures?
- Static variable
- environment variable
- session variable
47.What is the Environment variable?
Environmental variables are used to keep the value of that variable dynamic and can be used when ever wanted. Environment Variables are available to all Processes and Business Objects. Data Items exposed as Environment Variables are read-only.
48.What is Session variable?
Session Variables are specific to that instance of the Process. If two instances of the same process are running at the same time, they will both have the same Session Variables, but the Session Variables will have different values.
49.What is environment Locking?
- Environment locking is a feature to avoid deadlock situations between many bots for a shared resource. This is primarily used in a multi bot environment where multiple bots function on a shared resource.
- An Environment Lock is basically a key or token that a Process must obtain as “permission” to take a particular path. When there is only one lock and more than one instance of a Process is running, the instances must “compete” for the lock.
50.What is priority?
The Priority is an optional parameter to the Add to Queue action and when omitted, the Priority is assumed to be zero. Get Next Item selects items in order of lowest Priority number first, so an item with Priority set to 3 will be selected before an item with Priority set to 7. Where items have the same Priority, the FIFO principle applies.
Get Advanced Blue Prism Course to Become An RPA DeveloperWeekday / Weekend BatchesSee Batch Details
51.What is Global Variable in Code Stage in Blue Prism?
The variables which are visible through all pages in the process/object.
52.What will happen if the no completed/exception is set in the process?
All the cases in the queue will be locked till the end is reached and after that marked as exception with reason Automatic set at clean up
53.What is the Work queue in Blue Prism?
- It is used to process multiple items using a single bot.
- BluePrism uses work queues to manage its workload.
- A work queue is a list of cases to be worked by a process
54.What is the credential manager?
It is used for:-
Storing credentials in encrypted forms
It controls which processes. Resources and roles/people can access the credentials
55.What the Main page on Process studio should have?
It should have high-level steps
56.How to expose API using blue prism?
API can be exposed using the web service option in System tab
57.To ensure any sensitive data held within the queue is managed, what should you do?
Do not add sensitive data to the queue
58.Which part of BluePrism has an application modeler to interact with an application?
Object Studio and one object can interact with only one application.
59.What are unworked items in Blue Prism?
If Get Next Item fails to get an item, it does not necessarily mean there are no
unworked items in the queue; it could be that there are deferred items the queue is yet
60.Explain about exception handling in blue prism?
- Most exception handling should be done at process (or component. level. Business objects can contain exception handling but in general they should be kept as simple,reusable pieces of logic.
- If left unchecked, an exception will bubble upwards towards the main page of the parent process, ultimately bringing the process to a stop
61.What is the use of the Recover stage in blue prisms?
By default a Recover stage will attract any exception occurring on its page, and this
can sometimes lead to an infinite loop
62.What is the recovery stage in blue prism?
- The Recover stage attracts exceptions rather like a magnet. Once the flow of a process(or business object. has reached a Recover stage it is said to be in Recovery Mode.
- The Resume stage neutralizes, or kills off, the exception and moves the process out of Recovery Mode. Once past the Recover stage, the process is back into ‘normal’ running mode.
63.What is Retrying in blue prism?
Retrying simply means to recover an exception and then steer the flow back into the
main part of the diagram in the hope that the problem will be alleviated by another
Only the application exceptions should be retried and not the business exceptions.
64.What is Preserve the type and detail of the current exception in blue prism?
- When this checkbox is ticked, the exception stage simply ‘re-releases ‘the current exception and allows it to bubble upwards as if it had never been recovered in the first place.
- When this checkbox is not ticked, the exception stage generates a new exception, and importantly, keeps the current exception alive.
65.Can you explain why exceptions occur while launching an application?
Once a business object has launched an application, any attempt to launch again will
cause an exception. Once a business object has become attached to an application,
any attempt to attach again will cause an exception.
66.How do you check if the object is attached to the application?
To check if the object is attached, use the root (top. element in the application model
and select the ‘Is Connected’ read operation.
67.How can you include data items in an expression?
Square brackets must be used to include a Data Item in an expression, e.g., [Account ID].
68.How can you include a collection field in an expression?
To include a Collection field in an expression, we use what is known as dot notation. All
this means is that both the Collection name and the field name must be included in the
expression, and to do this you simply together using a full stop, for example [My
69.What is a Logging Agent?
Using logging agents we can log into the different systems without manually typing the Id and password.
70.From where one can change the value of environment Variables?
amic match type allows us to specify the value of an attribute from the diagram rather than use the one in Application Modeler. A dynamic attribute can be thought of as a mandatory input parameter required by any stage using the element.
- Find the element you would like to interact with in Application Modeler
- Locate the Path attribute
- Mark the Match checkbox and set the Match Type to Dynamic
- Click Apply and OK
71.What are the credential manager and how will you get credentials?
First, create the credential in the system and deploy vbo of credentials and use get credentials
72.What is the difference between BluePrism and Selenium?
- Selenium is specifically designed to test web applications and websites, it is impossible in selenium to interact with multiple applications and take the output of one application as an input for another application. It cannot work with Virtual environments like Citrix etc at all.
- BluePrism is an RPA tool which is designed to automate any type of existing software process to replace any type of activities that can be performed by a human. So we can say that RPA is the next level of existing automation tools. It allows people to build a very complex rules-based process with very little software development skills.
73.What is the difference between thin client and thick client?
Thin client: It is an application that we cannot get the quality properties while spying using any RPA tool.e.g. Any virtual environment.
Thick client: It is an application that we get a pretty handful of attribute features using RPA tool e.g. calculator, Internet Explorer
74.While configuring an active queue you have given 5 resources. But you want only 3 resources to run. How will you do that?
- Active Queues elevate the existing Work Queue functionality by providing a queue-centric approach for dynamically controlling the number of Resources operating against a given queue at a time. This provides the maximum flexibility to adjust the number of Resources assigned to collaboratively work items in the queue based on business demands and is available in addition to the original capability of simply assigning Resources to a Process.
- When we create an Active Queue, we need to assign 5 resources in the system. Then Active Queue is created with 5 resources in the Control Room. Then we need to open that active queue allotted with 5 resources and change the number of values of resources to 3. After that Active queue will be running with 3 resources in the Control Room.
75.How to add a Delay Process in Process Studio?
We can add Delay Process in Process Studio using Stop Action in Process Studio. We need to use Stop Action of Utilities – General VBO (Business Object.. In Stop Action we need to add Sleep Time (Seconds. for delaying Process in Process Studio
76.Suppose we have 2 items pending in WQ with priority 0 and 1. Ideally when we do GetNextItem item with 0 priority will be picked first, but in this case item with priority 1 is getting picked 1st. Please explain. Is it possible?
Yes, only if there is any defer time is given for the item with 0 priority. Defer will override priority. It will make Condition on Get item Data.
77.What is the Internal exception in blue prism?
‘Internal’ is the type of exception that isn’t generated by an exception stage. In simple terms, the internal exception is used by Blue Prism to say ‘there is a problem and I can’t do this part’.
78.What are ExceptionDetail(. and ExceptionType(.?
Exception functions like ExceptionDetail(. and ExceptionType(. cannot be used anywhere other than in between a Recover and a Resume, i.e., in Recovery Mode.
79.Explain Blueprism Run time resource?
- To overcome the manual login into multiple resources, Blue Prism has a feature called Blue Prism run time resource.
- Runtime resource is the instance of blue prism that can be launched and run in the background without the need to manually login. In fact, whenever launch and login into bp application Runtime, resources automatically run in background.
- System >>setting>Checkbox > start the personal runtime resource when the user signs in into blue prism.
- In prod we don’t have to launch the interactive client on all the machines we simply start a run time resource and simply that it requires to run a process.
80.How to Launch run time resource without launching and login into interactive client?
- Step 1. Cmd > C:/ Program files/ Blue Prism limited / blue prism automate/ Automate.exe /resource.pc /public/ Invisible
Automate.exe: Interactive client will launch
resource.pc: Will launch a bp as runtime env rather than interactive client.
/public: enables the resource pc to be available to the all pc to all the users. Means this pc will be visible from all resources from the control room, not from the resource.
Invisible: it will run the process in invisible mode.
Set up a startup script.
- Start >> Task Scheduler > Right Click on task scheduler > Give any Name (Bp Runtime. > Next >
- Specify when this task will work > Daily / Weekly / Monthly / Logon >Next > Start a Program > Next >
- Type the command we type earlier give the automate.exe path
- Add Arguments: resource.pc /public/Invisible > Next > Finish
81.Explain Login agent.
Login agent allows us to login into windows or unlock without acquiring someone to enter the credentials.
82.Explain Multi Bot.
- To Process the large volume of data within a short period of time, one machine may not be sufficient. This is where bp multi bot architecture comes into place.
- There is one blue prism server installed and that one interacts with the database and enables the bp server functionality so that all bp computers can interact with the bp server rather than the db directly. This way the bp database servers details is not exposed to the developers, testers or whoever is using. This server is called a bp server.
83.When is a Single-object design appropriate?
- A single-object design is appropriate for a small proof of technology exercise or a proof of concept project where delivery is done by a single developer and the object created will not subsequently be promoted to a production environment. Additionally, a single-object design is appropriate for objects that do not use an application modeller. These are not affected by changes to the target system and do not use up much memory e.g. Utility objects. In all other scenarios, a more efficient and scalable design is required using a multi-object design.
- By multi-object design we mean that more than one object is built for an application. Although there are no hard and fast rules regarding how many objects are built, a good rule of thumb to work by is to build a single object for each screen that is to be automated.
84.What will happen if the no completed/exception is set in the process ?
All the cases in the queue will be locked till the end is reached and after that marked as exception with reason Automatic set at clean up
85.How to get deferred / unworked items?
Get report data action in the work queues objects is used to get the deferred or unworked item
86.What are the internal business objects?
There are 6 business objects that come pre-installed when BP is installed for the 1st time. They are called internal business objects. The 6 business objects are: –
Collections, Work Queues, Calendars, Credentials, environment locking and Encryption
87.Where will one get the Item ID?
We will get Item ID as the output of the Add to queue.
88.What is an Orphan Relationship?
In Parent child relationship when child item has been added without parent item than that is called as Orphan Relationship
89.What is a Broken Relationship?
In parent child relationships when work on child items starts before all child and parent items have been added to the work queues or if not all child items have been added and parent item has been created, then that is called a broken relationship.
90.In Excel how to find values for Red color and Yellow color cells
We can achieve this by creating an object using the code stage where you need to use the autofilter excel vba method. In that we can pass the RGB value to filter the cell.
91.How can I add a collection to an environment variable?
It is not possible to add a collection in an environment variable. Allowed data types in environment variables are Text, Date, DateTime, Number, Flag, Password, Time, Timestamp, Image and Binary
92.How can you get the data from a dynamic table of a web based application?
We can get the data of the table as a collection using get Table element
However, this might now work in all the cases you may need the combination of syp modes to achieve this.
93.What are the Spying modes in Blue prism?
Basically Four Types
- 1.Mode, 2. Win32 mode, 3. accessibility Mode, 4. Region Mode
94.What is Accessibility Mode and how do you switch between them?
It is a spying mode like Win32 and HTML mode. It is an interface originally created for screen reading and speaking applications to assist Windows application users with disabilities, for changing to accessibility simply press the “ALT” key until the spy tool turns blue.
95.what are the run modes? specify.
Foreground, Background and Exclusive.
96.What are session variables?
Session Variables are exposed outside the diagram, and as the name suggests, are applicable to sessions, i.e. running Processes
97.What CircledWord denotes in Page Segmentation Mode settings?
It denotes Treat the image as a single word in a circle.
98.What do you think is an excellent feature of Release Manager?
A Process might employ a range of other Processes, Business Objects, and Work Queues.To migrate all of these parts individually would be an error-prone task requiring careful attention to detail and conscientious use of checklists. For this reason, Blue Prism provides the Release Manager which allows users to create checklists known as Packages.
99.Can we run Multiple robots in the same Resources, at a Time?
Yes, It’s Run It Schedule Robots at same Time.
100.What Is the Purpose of a calendar?
When We develop any Robot. The schedule for robots: For a specific day we can use the calendar.
Are you looking training with Right Jobs?Contact Us
- UiPath Interview Questions and Answers
- Automation Anywhere Interview Questions and Answers
- Robotic Process Automation(RPA) Interview Questions and Answers
- RPA Blue Prism Certification Guide
- Appian Tutorial
- What is Dimension Reduction? | Know the techniques
- Difference between Data Lake vs Data Warehouse: A Complete Guide For Beginners with Best Practices
- What is Dimension Reduction? | Know the techniques
- What does the Yield keyword do and How to use Yield in python ? [ OverView ]
- Agile Sprint Planning | Everything You Need to Know