Informatica Tutorial: The Ultimate Guide [STEP-IN] | ACTE
Last updated on 10th Oct 2020, Blog, Tutorials
INFORMATICA is a Software development company, which offers data integration products. It offers products for ETL, data masking, data Quality, data replica, data virtualization, master data management, etc. Informatica Powercenter ETL/Data Integration tool is the most widely used tool and in the common term when we say Informatica, it refers to the Informatica PowerCenter tool for ETL.
Informatica Powercenter is used for Data integration. It offers the capability to connect & fetch data from different heterogeneous source and processing of data.
For example, you can connect to an SQL Server Database and Oracle Database both and can integrate the data into a third system.
The latest version of Informatica PowerCenter available is 9.6.0. The different editions for the PowerCenter are
- Standard edition
- Advanced edition
- Premium edition
The popular clients using Informatica Powercenter as a data integration tool are U.S Air Force, Allianz, Fannie Mae, ING, Samsung, etc. The popular tools available in the market in competition to Informatica are IBM Datastage, Oracle OWB, Microsoft SSIS and Ab Initio.
Subscribe For Free Demo[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
Typical use cases for Informatica can be:
- An organization migrating from existing legacy system like mainframe to a new database system. So the migration of its existing data into a system can be performed.
- Enterprises setting up their Data Warehouse would require an ETL tool to move data from the Production system to Warehouse.
- Integration of data from various heterogeneous systems like multiple databases and file-based systems can be done using Informatica.
- Informatica can be used as a data cleansing tool.
Informatica is better than its competitors as it offers a wide range of product editions. So the user can opt for a specific edition based upon the requirement. Informatica is constantly featured as Data Integration product leader in the Gartner Magic Quadrant listing.
Informatica is available for all the popular platforms. It offers cloud-based services so that with minimal setup an industry can use this tool. Informatica offers real-time data integration, Web services integration, Business to business data integration (B2B), Big data edition, Master Data Management and connectors for social media and Salesforce. Forbes has quoted Informatica as the next Microsoft, this itself reflects the market share Informatica is having over its competitors.
Why do we need Informatica?
Informatica comes to the picture wherever we have a data system available and at the backend we want to perform certain operations on the data. It can be like cleaning up of data, modifying the data, etc. based on certain set of rules or simply loading of bulk data from one system to another.
Informatica offers a rich set of features like operations at row level on data, integration of data from multiple structured, semi-structured or unstructured systems, scheduling of data operation. It also has the feature of metadata, so the information about the process and data operations are also preserved.
Step 1 – Click on the link https://edelivery.oracle.com/ and download Informatica Power Center 8.6.1
Step 2 – Now Unzip the file in Stage directory. In this case is D:\INFRA
Step 3 – After unzipping the files you will go to Server\windows\Disk1\InstData\VM
Step 4 – Double click on install.exe. It will open a dialog box.
Step 5 – Click on run to install Informatica power server center.
Step 6 – Install Informatica power center server, InstallAnywhere.
Step 7 – Select the language to install then Click on “OK”.
Step 8 – Click on “NEXT”
Step 9 – Select Informatica Installation type “Install power Center 8.6.1” then click on “NEXT”.
Step 10 – Then browse the license key file and then click on “NEXT”.
Step 11 – Browse Installation Prerequisites and then click on “NEXT”.
Step 12 – Browse Installation Directory and select the Installation Directory and click “NEXT”.
Step 13 – Browse HTTPS Configuration and select the defaults and click on “NEXT”.
Step 14 – Browse Pre Installation Summary then click on Install Informatica button to start the Informatica installation
Step 15 – Install Power Center 8.6.1
Step 16 – Select Create New Domain and then click on Next.
Step 17 – Browse Configure Domain Database Informatica to check the connection click on “Test Connection” to proceed with the next step of Informatica installation
Step 18 – Test Connection passed. On the preceding screen click on NEXT, if the Test Connection passes.
Step 19 – Browse the Domain Configuration and click on NEXT.
Step 20 – Install Informatica power center server: Please Wait.
Step 21 – Configure Informatica services Unchecked “Run Informatica services under a different user account” and then click on NEXT.
Step 22 – Select Post-Installation Summary.
The different features of what is Informatica are as below:
- It allows the safe exchange of data in Business to Business and complete end to end visibility.
- It extracts data from different kinds of databases with different types of data such as Structured, Unstructured and Semi-Structured data and transforms it into required form and stores into the target databases for the customer requirements.
- It has the feature of parallel processing which is defined as the process of computing the execution of multiple processes simultaneously.
- It provides the reusability of data, re-running the data and recovery of data.
- It gives accurate deliverables and provides automation of deployments.
- It provides high security to the data stored.
- It provides recovery in the case of data disaster moments and customized access permissions.
- It has a centralized cloud server that provides high security with easy accessibility and tracking data facility.
- It provides high visibility in case of presentations for the visual data.
- It provides easy data maintenance and data monitoring.
Why it is used?
The conventional application for Informatica is:
- The company uses it to transfer from the current legacy system such as mainframe to the latest system of database. Consequently, the transfer of its existent data into the system could be carried out.
- Companies establishing their warehouses of data will need a tool of ETL to transfer the data to the warehouse from the Production system.
- The assimilation of information from several different systems such as numerous databases and system based on files could be completed utilizing Informatica.
- It could be utilized as a tool for cleansing data.
It is beneficial more than it provides a broad collection of product versions. Hence, consumers could choose a particular edition based on requisite. Informatica is consistently emphasized as a product of the integration of data product leader in the listing of Gartner Magic Quadrant.
Learn Experts Curated Informatica Training to Build Your Skills & Ability
- Instructor-led Sessions
- Real-life Case Studies
Advantages and Disadvantages of Informatica
Below are the advantages and disadvantages of Informatica are mentioned below:
Below are the advantages:
- Effective interfaces of GUI for Session monitoring, Job Scheduling, ETL Design, Debugging, Administration, etc.
- Queued Message
- Third-party application data
- Mainframe and file-based data
- XML and unstructured data
- Accessibility to a broad variety of data sources of the company
- Relational data
- Could simply acclimate and merge with provided data handling utility through the vendor.
- Load stabilization and parallel processing
- The web-based sole point of authority for an application broad enterprise assuring a great quality of protection with diminished administration expense
- Grid choice gives an affordable answer to suffice the high demand processing with linear scalability and high accessibility.
When you are browsing several webpages to locate the drawbacks of Informatics you might not be able to find any as there are very few drawbacks. This section comprises information that is never more shown on any other article. Below you might a few disadvantages:
- Workflow Monitor lack of sorting
- In the workflow monitor, there is no choice to separate out folders that are required or needed
- In the repository manager, it not possible to move an object from one folder to another
- Further, you cannot import XML export files
- Also, it includes Mappings and workflows development is also not possible.
Informatica Architecture Tutorial: The Ultimate Guide [STEP-IN]
Informatica architecture is service-oriented architecture (SOA). A service-oriented architecture is defined as a group of services that communicate with each other. It means a simple data transfer during this communication, or it can be two or more services that coordinate the same activity.
- The Informatica development depends upon the component-based development techniques. This technique uses the predefined components and functional units with their functionalities to get the result.
- PowerCenter is based on the component-based development methodologies. To build a dataflow from the source to target, it used different components, and this process is called transformation.
- Basically, Informatica Power centre consists of the following components and services.
- Repository Service: – responsible to maintain the metadata of Informatica and to provide access to other services.
- Integration Service: – This service is responsible for the movement of the data to the target from the source.
- Reporting Service: – Responsible for generating reports.
- Nodes: – They are the computing platforms and the above services are executed here.
- Informatica Designer: – Helps in creating mapping between the target and the source.
- Workflow Manager: – This is responsible for creating workflows and related tasks. Also helps in executing them.
- Workflow Monitor: – As the name indicates, it monitors the execution of workflow.
- Repository Manager: – Responsible for managing objects in repository.
- The Informatica domain is the fundamental administrative unit.
- The Informatica domain consists of nodes and services. These nodes and services are categorized into folders or sub-folders based on administration requirements and design architecture.
- The Console web page of the Informatica administrator creates a domain that looks like a folder. Inside this folder, we can create a node with the services.
- In the Informatica domain, a node is a logical representation of the machine. All the services and processes run inside the domain in the Informatica. Multiple nodes can be present in a single domain. A gateway node receives the request from the clients and guides them to their respective services.
- The domain provides two types of services, such as:
- 1. Service Manager: It manages domain operations such as logging, authentication, and authorization. It runs the application services on the nodes and leads users and groups.
- 2. Application Services: It represents the server-specific services such as repository services, reporting services, and integration services. The application service can run on different nodes based on configuration.
- PowerCenter repository is a relational database like Oracle, Sybase, SQL server and it is managed by repository service. It consists of database tables that store metadata.
- There are three Informatica Client tools available in Informatica Powercenter. They are Informatica
- Workflow Monitor
- Workflow Manager
- These clients can access to the repository using repository service only.
- To manage a repository there exists an Informatica service called Repository Service. A single repository service handles exclusively only one repository. Also, a repository service can execute on multiple nodes to increase the performance.
- The repository services use locks on the objects, so multiple users cannot modify the same object same time.
- You can enable version control in the repository. With the version control feature, you can maintain different versions of the same object.
Objects created in the repository can have following three state
- Valid: Valid objects are those objects whose syntax is correct according to Informatica. These objects can be used in the execution of workflows.
- Invalid: Invalid objects are those who does not adhere to the standard or rules specified. When any object is saved in Informatica, it is checked whether its syntax and properties are valid or not, and the object is marked with the status accordingly.
- Impacted: Impacted objects are those whose child objects are invalid. For example in a mapping if you are using a reusable transformation, and this transformation object becomes invalid then the mapping will be marked as impacted.
Key properties of the domain are
- Resilience timeout – If any of the integration service or repository services goes down then resilience timeout is the no of seconds the application service tries to connect to those services.
- Restart Period – It is the maximum number of seconds the domain spends to restart a service.
- Dispatch Mode – It is the policy used by the load balancer to dispatch tasks to various nodes.
- Database type – The type of database on which domain is configured.
- Database host – Hostname of the machine on which domain is configured.
- Database port & name – It is the database port and the database instance name for the domain.
Powercenter client & Server Connectivity
- PowerCenter client tools are development tools which are installed on the client machines. Powercenter designer, workflow manager, a repository manager, and workflow monitor are the main client tools.
- The mappings and objects that we create in these client tools are saved in the Informatica repository which resides on the Informatica server. So the client tools must have network connectivity to the server.
- On the other hand, PowerCenter client connects to the sources and targets to import the metadata and source/target structure definitions. So it also must have connectivity to the source/target systems.
- To connect to the integration service and repository service, PowerCenter client uses TCP/IP protocols and
- To connect to the sources/targets, the PowerCenter client uses ODBC drivers.
Are you looking training with Right Jobs?Contact Us
- SSIS Tutorial
- Informatica Architecture
- Informatica Tutorial: The Ultimate Guide [STEP-IN] | ACTE
- Ab Initio Interview Questions and Answers
- What is Dimension Reduction? | Know the techniques
- Difference between Data Lake vs Data Warehouse: A Complete Guide For Beginners with Best Practices
- What is Dimension Reduction? | Know the techniques
- What does the Yield keyword do and How to use Yield in python ? [ OverView ]
- Agile Sprint Planning | Everything You Need to Know