NetApp Interview Questions and Answers
Last updated on 25th Sep 2020, Blog, Interview Question
If you’re looking for NetApp Interview Questions & Answers for Experienced or Freshers, you are at the right place. There are a lot of opportunities from many reputed companies in the world. According to research, NetApp has a market share of about 0.1%. So, You still have the opportunity to move ahead in your career in NetApp Analytics.
1. Unable to map lun to solaris server, but solaris server side no issue.How to resolve the issue?
Ans:FROM STORAGE SIDE:
- Verify iscsi/fcp license is added in storage
- Verify iscsi/fcp session is logged in from server side use below command
- Netapp> igroup show -v
- Verify luns are mapped to the corresponding igroup
- Verify whether correct host type is mentioned while creating a group and lun
- Verify whether correct iqn/wwpn number is added to igroup
- Verify zoning is properly configured from switch side, if it is FCP protocol
2. How to create the LUN for linux server?
lun create –s size –t linux /vol/vol1/lunname.
3. How to create qtree and provide the security?
The security is provided by
- Netapp>qtree create /vol/vol1/qtreename
- Netapp>qtree security /vol/vol1/qtree unix|ntfs|mixed
4. How to copy volume filer to filer?
ndmpcopy or snapmirror
5. How to resize the aggregate?
Netapp> aggr add Agg_Name no.of.disk
6. How to increase the volume?
vol add VolName no.of.disk
vol size VolName +60g
7. What is qtree?
qtree is Logical partition of the volume.
8. What is the default snap reserve in aggregate?
9. What is a snapshot?
A Snapshot copy is a read-only image of a traditional or FlexVol volume, or an aggregate, that captures the state of the file system at a point in time.
10. What are the raid groups Netapp supporting?
Supported RAID types:
Subscribe For Free Demo
Error: Contact form not found.
11. What are the protocols you are using?
Say some protocols like NFS, CIFS, ISCSI and FCP
12. What is the difference between iscsi and fcp?
Iscsi-sending block through. iSCSI does not require a dedicated network, it will work on existing networks also. It works on TCP/IP.
Fcp-send through fibre medium. Required an dedicated FC network. Performance is so high compare to the iSCSI
13. What is the iscsi port number?
14. What is the difference between ndmp copy and vol copy?
- Ndmp copy –network data management protocol(used for tape backup)
- Vol copy – is used to transfer volume to same or another aggregate
15. What is the difference between ONTAP 7 & 8?
In ONTAP 7 the individual aggregate is limited to a maximum of 16 TB. Where ONTAP 8 supports the new 64 bit aggregate and hence the size of the individual aggregate extends to 100 TB.
16. What are the steps needed to configure SnapMirror?
The SnapMirror configuration process consists of the following four steps:
Install the SnapMirror license on the source and destination systems:
- license add <code>
On the source, specify the host name or IP address of the SnapMirror destination systems you wish to authorize to replicate this source system.
- options snapmirror.access host=dst_hostname1,dst_hostname2
For each source volume or qtree to replicate, perform an initial baseline transfer. For volume SnapMirror
- restrict the destination volume first: vol restrict dst_vol
Then initialize the volume SnapMirror baseline, using the following syntax on the destination:
- snapmirror initialize -S src_hostname:src_v
For a qtree SnapMirror baseline transfer, use the following syntax on the destination:
- snapmirror initialize –S src_hostname:/vol/src_vol/src_qtree
17. While doing baseline transfer you’re getting an error message. What are the troubleshooting steps you’ll do?
- Check both the hosts are reachable by running “ping” command
- Check whether the TCP port 10566 & 10565 are open from firewall
- Check whether the snapmirror license are installed in both filers
18. Explain the different types of replication modes..?
The SnapMirror Async mode replicates Snapshot copies from a source volume or qtree to a destination. It will be more than 800Kms Long. volume or qtree. Incremental updates are based on a schedule or are performed manually using the snapmirror update command. Async mode works with both volume SnapMirror and qtree SnapMirror.
SnapMirror Sync mode replicates writes from a source volume to a destination volume at the same time it is written to the source volume. SnapMirror Sync is used in environments that have zero tolerance for data loss. it will note support more than 300Kms long.
SnapMirror Semi-Sync provides a middle-ground solution that keeps the source and destination systems more closely synchronized than Async mode, but with less impact on performance.
19. How do you configure multiple paths in Snapmirror?
Add a connection name line in the snapmirror.conf file
- FAS1_conf = multi (FAS1-e0a,FAS2-e0a) (FAS1-e0b,FAS2-e0b)
20. How to improve the Netapp storage performance?
There is no direct answer to this question but we shall do it in several ways.
- If volume/lun present in ATA/SATA harddisk aggregate, then the volume can be migrated to FC/SAS disk aggregate. Either you can use flash cache to improve performance.
- For NFS/CIFS instead of accessing from a single interface, multi mode vif can be configured to get better bandwidth and fault tolerance.
- Always advised to keep aggr/vol utilization below 90%.
- Avoid doing multiple volume backups in a single point of time.
- Aggr/volume/lun reallocation can be done to re–distribute the data to multiple disks for better striping performance.
- Schedule scrubbing and De-duplication scanning after business hours.
- Create multiple loops and connect different types of shelves to each loop
- Avoid mixing up different speeds of disk and different types of disk in the same aggregate.
- Always keep sufficient spare disk to replace in case of disk failure. Because reconstruction time will take more time and cause negative performance.
- Keep the advised version of firmware/software which is recommended by Netapp.
Best NetApp Training with Advanced Topics By Certified Trainers
- Instructor-led Sessions
- Real-life Case Studies
21. Justify however deduplication occurs?
In the context of disk storage, De-duplication refers to any rule that searches for duplicate knowledge objects (for example, blocks, chunks, files) and discards those duplicates. Once duplicate knowledge is detected, it’s not maintained, however instead a “data pointer” is changed in order that the storage system references a certain copy of the info object already kept on disk. This Deduplication feature works well with datasets that have countless duplicated data (for example, full backups).
22. What’s the command to see the quantity of house saved victimization Deduplication?
23.Command won’t check progress and standing of Deduplication?
24. However, does one set up a Snapvault shot schedule?
pri> snapvault snap sched vol1 sv_hourly 22@0-22
This schedule is for the house directories volume vol1
Creates hourly shot copies, except 11:00 p.m.
Keeps nearly a full day of hourly copies
25. What’s metadata?
Metadata is outlined as knowledge providing data concerning one or additional aspects of the info,
- Inode file
- Used block electronic image file
- Free block electronic image file
26. How can you “throttle” SnapValue updates and baseline transfers so that the primary or secondary is not transmitting data as it can?
Use the k option in the snapvault start or snapshot modify commands.
27. Node 1 in a clustered pair detects that it has lost connectivity to one of its disk shelves. Node 1 is still up, but it cannot see one of its disk shelves. However, the partner node, Node 2, can see all of the Node 1’s disk shelves. Which feature will cause Node 2 to monitor this error condition for a period of three minutes by default, and then forcibly take over Node 1 if the error condition persists?
28. In Data ONTAP, the root user is exempt from those two quotas?
User quotas and Group quotas
29. Which two Volume SnapMirror (VSM) relationships are supported?
Data ONTAP 8.0.2 64-bit –>Data ONTAP 8.1 64-bit
30. An aggregate is composed of twelve 36-Gigabyte disks. A drive fails and only 72-Gigabyte spare disks are available. Data ONTAP will then perform what action
Choose a 72-Gigabyte disk and right-size it.
Get Hands-on Experience from NetApp Certification CourseWeekday / Weekend BatchesSee Batch Details
31. Which statement is true about expanding an aggregate from 32-bit to 64-bit in place?
The expansion is triggered by adding disks to exceed 16 TB.
32: What utility on the storage system will allow you to capture network packet information?
33. The root admin on the UNIX box receives an “Access Denied” message when he attempts to access a newly mounted qtree. What’s the most likely cause of this error?
The qtree is set to ntfs security style.
34. Identify the two commands that could be entered on the SnapMirror destination storage system.
Snapmirror initialize and Snap mirror resync
35. Which two operations can be performed with the SnapDrive for windows graphical user interface?
Create Snapshot copies and Create Disk
36. Which storage system command would display the WWPNs of hosts that have logged into the storage system using a Fibre Channel connection?
fcp show initiator
37. In a Fiber Channel configuration, the host’s HBA is referred to as the ___________, and the storage system’s HBA as the _____________.
38. Which action will cause a currently in-sync SnapMirror relationship to fail out of sync?
Modifying the /etc/snapmirror.conf file for the relationship on the destination storage system.
39. You are trying to do a single file SnapRestore for a file, but you are receiving an error message that the directory structure no longer exists. Which is the most likely explanation?
You must recreate the directory structure before trying to restore the file.
40. Which mechanism allows you to make LUNs available to some initiators and unavailable to others?
41. An iSCSI ______________ is established when the host initiator logs into the iSCSI target. Within a ______________ you can have one or more ____________.
session, session, connections
42. Which NetApp Virtual Storage Tier component works at the host level?
43. When using a Protection Manager policy to manage Open systems SnapVault backups on a UNIX server, which three valid objects to include in the data set?
The entire client , A directory and A file
44. What does it signify if the disks are “not owned” in a FAS2020 system?
The disks are not used.
45. For each Open Systems platform directory to be backed up to the SnapVault secondary storage system you must execute _____________.
An initial baseline copy B.
46. What is the maximum distance between a standard clustered pair at 2Bbps?
47. Is NetApp storage Encryption supported in Data ONTAP 8.1.1 Cluster-Mode?
No, but you can file a PVR to request support.
48. Which two cp types would indicate a busy storage system?
cp_from_log_full and cp_from_cp
49. There are three phases of Non Disruptive Volume Movement (NDVM). What is the correct sequence of these phases?
Setup Phase, Data Copy Phase, Cutover Phase
50. Which statement describes the results of the SnapMirror resync command?
Resynchronization finds the newest common snapshot shared by the two volumes or qtree, and removes all newer information on the storage system on which the command is run
51. If you were troubleshooting and wanted to look at SnapMirror log files, what is the path to these files?
52. Host multi-pathing describes a ____________ solution that has at least two distinct ______________ paths to a LUN.
FC or IP SAN, Physical
Are you looking training with Right Jobs?Contact Us
- Linux Tutorial
- NetApp Tutorial
- AIX Interview Questions and Answers
- Sun Solaris Administration Interview Questions and Answers
- EMC Interview Questions and Answers
- What is Dimension Reduction? | Know the techniques
- Difference between Data Lake vs Data Warehouse: A Complete Guide For Beginners with Best Practices
- What is Dimension Reduction? | Know the techniques
- What does the Yield keyword do and How to use Yield in python ? [ OverView ]
- Agile Sprint Planning | Everything You Need to Know